Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Adventures in Salad #4- tomato, peach and cilantro summer salad

Salad #4: Spicy tomato, peach and cilantro salad with a lime vinaigrette. (#2)

So... today's salad was a pretty simple mixture of beefsteak tomatoes, ripe peaches, and fresh cilantro with a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes and a healthy squeeze of lime juice. According to Mark Bittman the combination is "Astonishing". Hmm... can't agree with you there, Mark.

I was excited to try the salad because, again, it's not something I would have tried. I don't love peaches by themselves and I generally dislike fruits in my salads...( except for the occasional cranberry in a mesculin salad) but I thought maybe the combination of all of the ingredients would be greater than the sum of their parts and really create a truly "astonishing"and totally different taste. It didn't.

The tastes didn't seem to compliment each other... if anything I feel like the tomato and peach somehow dampened each other and my little buddy, cilantro--who usually guarntees a festive time-- was just there to look pretty. To me, this tasted very much like a poor man's version of mango salsa... which is essentially the same ingredients, but subbing the mango for peach. I love mango salsa, but the mildness of the peach flavor didn't do this justice. If I were to try this again I would probably sub nectarine for the peach (they have a brighter flavor), add more red onion, and instead of cutting everything in wedges, I'd dice the tomato and nectarine..... but unfortunately I have no interest in trying this again. If someone else does, please let me know your thoughts. I'm dissapointed in you, salad 4.

-Would I eat this salad again? Nope... but it does have me feening for a Qdoba mango chicken salad....
-Would I serve this to company- Nope... I didn't even finish my serving... and I finish everything
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- Yep... peaches are only good in cobbler... and they're only marginally good there ;-p
- Salad rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment