Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Goal #3: Wine tasting in Napa

After our fabulous hot air balloon ride in Napa I was able to visit the fabulous O'Brien winery and do an official wine tasting! The winery was amazing. The people were really friendly and our guide, Rena (I think), took us on a tour of the vineyards, let us sample the different grapes, and then guided us through a tasting of this season's wines.

Unfortunately I waited over a week (and many more glasses of wine) to write this blog so the nuances of the wines are a distant memory. Despite that I really learned a lot at the wine tasting. Unless you're in a tasting environment, you don't usually get a chance to really discover the differences between different wines. On this tasting I was, for the first time, really able to notice the difference between an oaked Chardonnay and an un-oaked chardonnay or the difference between a Cabernet and a Merlot.

The tasting was really interesting. I wouldn't stay that after my visit to O'Brien's I now have a sophisticated wine palate, but I would say that I have a better appreciation for people who are able to taste distinct flavors in different wines (ie floral, fruity with melon overtones...) I always just figured they were pretentious and full of caca... I also feel like it's helped me develop a more intellectual appreciation of wine... not just an appreciation of it's soothing qualities after a long day..

Overall a great experience. I'm definitely looking forward to getting more into wine tasting. I may even host a little tasting at my house this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment