Thursday, April 2, 2009

Body of Work Challenge... it's not too late! :-)

Hey y'alls....

I made mention on one of my Blog Roundups of the Body of Work challenge that the Social Fitness blog has going for April. Essentially the challenge is to work out for 26 days in April (ie 6 days a week... you get one day off), and then blog about it on the site.

Ok before you get scared by the "6 days a week" thing, there are MANY types of exercise that count... actually I think any exercise counts. You don't need to have a gym membership. You don't need to have any fancy equipment.... you just basically need 2 legs and some motivation.




Here are some examples of workouts/routines that anyone could do.... without a gym
1- Get off the train 2-3 stops early and power walk the rest of the way home
2- Get together with a friend and learn the dance Single Ladies (put a ring on it) or any old Janet Jackson video.
3- You can do a VERY effective total body strengthening workout at home only using your body weight or light dumb bells. (I'd be MORE than happy to help anyone with this)
4- Order a few fitness videos and do 30 min - 1 hr of cardio or strength training in your apartment
5- Do the "Park workout" Go to a park with stairs. Run or walk the stairs for 15-20 min, do some lower body work (walking lunges, squats, etc), do some upper body work (tricep dips on the bench, push ups), do some abs (planks, side lifts, or full out crunches if you're not afraid to lay on the ground).
6- Take a dance, pilates, or yoga class with a friend

There are SOOOO many options for things that you could do to get moving for the month and honestly it is very motivating to participate with a group who is going through the same thing. The blogs can be as simple ("I got up this morning and walked 45 min before work) or elaborate (... morning... it's a time of reflection... as I stretch my weary joints... blah blah") as you'd like. so don't let the blogging deter you.

At this point there are over 200 people participating in the Body of Work challenge... It's day 2 and 99 of the 200 pulled their ass out of bed and did a little sumthin for day 1. It's only day 2. It's not too late for you to get your ass off of your couch and into the game....

And if my helpful hints aren't motivation enough... there are also GREAT prizes.
1st prize- a YEAR membership to CRUNCH gym (1,000 value!). Crunch has awesome classes like Barre ASSets (an ass class with a ballet bar), pole dancing classes, spinning, etc.

The other prizes are awesome, but this is the one I'm going for....

Come on fools... Who's with me!

3 comments:

  1. This workout sounds tight (pun not intended, my answers just seem to flow out that way). I HAVE to start back running this weekend, esp. since I was so delinquent w/it last weekend and am planning on incorporating some stair work by the end of next week. Getting ready for my BK Bridge run!

    Don't know if I have time to workout like that and blog about it too, but we'll see. You gonna do this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell's yeah! I'm in it to win it! Actually the blogs only have to be like 2-3 lines long... like
    "Ran 3 miles and did crunches for 10 min"

    They definitely don't have to be elaborate. Mine have been pretty simple.

    You should join! It's fun. I've learned a bunch of new stuff... Today I did kettlebell swings :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg.. karia used to KILL me with the kettlebell swings! just letting u know...im bout to do ur workout :-)

    ReplyDelete