Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fair Fiona... Foster #2

So..... after 5 days of dealing with constant yipping, the "scratch scratch SLAM" of little pug bodies running across hardwood and sliding into the wall, and more vomit, pee and poo than I have experienced in.... months, and a moderate tear-filled breakdown, I am FINALLY able to sit down and write a blog about my 2nd foster puppy. As some of you may know, my first foster pug was Bruno, a distinguished calm, mostly blind, and very chunky old guy who stayed at my place for about a month last October. Fiona is nothing like that. Fiona is a 5 month old, skinny little puppy who has a digestive disorder called megaesophagus.

Fiona has been in foster care her entire life. She and her brother Cosmo (who also has megaesophagus) came to Curly Tail Pug rescue from a different rescue because our co-founders felt we may be able to help their conditions stabilize due to our experience with special needs puppies like our spina bifida puppy Sophia. Fiona is a TOTAL cuddly puppy, NOTHING like my Leroy who didn't really like to be held unless he was really sleepy. Fiona loves nothing more to be picked up and cuddled. It's helpful for her digestion if she's held upright after she eats, so I try and hold her for a few minutes after each meal and every time she curls up in my arms, puts her little head on my shoulder and goes right to sleep. If I'm sitting on the couch (and Leroy is constrained to another room), she will hope up next to me and calmly busy herself with a plastic nylabone.

Fiona HATES loud noises.... which is unfortunate for her because I'm a clutz and I cook a lot so there's always clanging and banging and sizzling... When I'm in the kitchen cooking she's usually hiding back by the bathroom. Fiona and Leroy are friends... for the most part. Fiona likes to play with him when she feels like it... Leroy is manically obsessed with playing with her. He's after her ALL the time... He runs her into walls and flips her over... it's a bit scary. She doesn't seem to mind for the most part

It's pretty amazing to me how different her personality is from Leroy's. Left to her own devices I think she'd be the perfect puppy... calm, cuddly, loving, submissive... all together perfect.

Her digestive disorder is preventing her from being adopted quickly, in my opinion... which is sad b/c it's totally manageable.

More to come of this little gal :-)

2 comments: