Thursday, August 13, 2009

2-week Doggie Boot Camp!

Leroy, my crazy little pug creature is a year old now. He's a super sweet boy and well behaved, for the most part, but I think I've been a little indulgent with him since he was so little when I got him and since he's so freaking cute!

How can you not love that face!

But I digress....

My lovely parents are coming in a few weeks and I'd really like to have some of Leroy's behavioral issues under control before they get here. I love my parents, but they aren't the same type of dog person as I am. They aren't really going to love Leroy jumping on the couch, licking their faces, and running around the house like a spastic beast. Also my parents are going to be here during the week, so it would be great if his walking was under control so he'll be able to walk nicely with my parents even if I'm not here. If Leroy's behavior doesn't improve I fear it will be a long week behind the gate for him.
So in order to save Leroy from a week in pritchen (heh heh that's prison and kitchen together) Here is what I'd like to work on...

Goal 1: Staying off the Couch. Leroy is not allowed on the couch until after the 'rents leave. Amy instructed that I was to have Leroy sit/lay down on the floor when I sit on the couch and give him a treat and a toy. She also said I should keep the squirt bottle handy... I assume for when he jumps on the couch. I'm not sure if I should physically take him off, or just squirt him, or if I should say no. I'll have to follow-up with her.

Goal 2: Greater impulse control
- Leroy must sit before we enter, leave, when we hit every crosswalk. He also must sit every time someone pets him. If he sits when he's petted he gets a treat. If he doesn't sit then we leave.

Goal 3: Less distraction/sniffing on walks- according to Amy, I should just bring a squeaky toy with me on walks and squeak every time he gets distracted with sniffing or picking things off the floor. I kind of want to squirt him with a water bottle... but I'll try Amy's method first. :-p

All of this starts tomorrow. I think the hardest thing to be consist with will be the couch... I don't mind Leroy on the couch at all... in fact I like cuddling up with the little stinker but it'll be better for him in the long run if he's only on the couch when invited.

I just informed Leroy about our plans.... he obliged me by calmly laying on the floor (good boy!), but he looks a little dubious...

I'll keep you all posted on our progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment