Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hey! let go of my browned tomato! (salads 7 - 10)

Back to the Salads! I know you guys missed them! But never fear, I'm still mixing up the salads here in Brooklyn. Here are entries 6-10!

Browned tomatoes, curry powder, arugula, mint and lime (#10)

Hmmm this salad was fairly refreshing, but nothing to write home about. It kind of reminded me of a far less interesting Vietnamese sandwich. I think I needed to add a lot more cumin and maybe get more of a char on the tomatoes to make it more special? I don't know. I wasn't that impressed and I'm not really sure what I would serve this with. Didn't take a picture because tomato, arugula and mint don't make for a very interesting pic, but here were my thoughts:
-Would I eat this salad again? Eh, probably not
-Would I serve this to company- I could see how some people would like it.. but I wouldn't know what to serve it with.
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- I don't love the combo of mint and tomato.
- Salad rating: C- I just didn't really dig it.

Chili dusted shrimp with watercress, corn, cherry tomatoes and lime (#62)

I think I "could" like this salad... with a few tweaks. Mr. Bittman said to sautee the shrimp and corn and add the watercress and tomato at the last minute. I don't know if that's the best idea... the cooked scrimps created a bit of a sauce and when you added thew rest of the ingredients it reminded me a bit of corn and seafood chowder. I think I'm going to try it again grilling the shrimp separately and then throwing it into the rest of the hot salad at the end and see how it turns out.
-Would I eat this salad again? Yep, I'd like to eat it soon
-Would I serve this to company- Yeah probably. It was pretty and has potential
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- salad is never good when it's swimming in shrimp juice
- Salad rating: B+ I didn't love it, but I know I will.

Jicama and green mango with cilantro and lime (#8)
Yummm I have never had Jicama before. I always hear about it on top chef, but have never tried it. Yummy... cool, crunchy, non-obtrusive, low carb... what's not to like. Jicama and mango are a perfect match. I wonder what else jicama goes with. I'll have to investigate. Perfect salad. I could eat this every week.
-Would I eat this salad again? I want one right now
-Would I serve this to company- Yep I planned on making some for my friend Curtis last weekend but ran out of time
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- Mmmm Jicama!
- Salad rating: A+




Jicama and mango with cocounut milk, cilantro, lime and curry powder (#9)

My second Jicama salad in 2 days. Pretty much the same salad with the addition of the coconut milk and curry powder. The salad smelled A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! The salad tasted.. ok. It wasn't bad at all, but I feel like the coconut milk dulled the jicama/mango/lime combo and the curry didn't add too much. But I'd make it for company with less coconut milk. It really smelled good and may be a good company salad. :-)
-Would I eat this salad again? Probably not by myself
-Would I serve this to company- Yep, looks great, exotic ingredients, smells fabulous
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- Sometimes simplier is better
- Salad rating: B

Tomato wedges with strawberries, balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese (#13)
mmm REALLY tasty! The strawberry/ balsamic mix could be desert-y, but the tomato and parm add a nice savory note. yum... some freshly cracked pepper ould be nice. mmm i think i'm starting to understand peoples love of balsamic, its not vinegary... its more smooth and "chocolaty" kind of... yum! inspired me to add some pitted cheries, balsamic and chicken to a salad also... very tasty. would be great with spinach or mescilin. Really nice salad.
-Would I eat this salad again? Yep. I almost had it the next day
-Would I serve this to company- Yes. Would be great with a nice American summery meal
- Did I learn anything from this salad experience?- I actually like balsamic vinegar
- Salad rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment