Friday, September 18, 2009

Ah-shegonya- mamabishima-ma!!! (translated: my evening at the Lion King! Goal 16)

Another (part of a) goal down and a WONDERFUL evening was spent a few weeks ago when my parents and I had a chance to check out The Lion King on Broadway. I wasn't really expecting much... I always thought of the Lion King as kind of a kiddie show or a touristy show, but it was fabulous! The music was amazing, and the acting was superb.

One of the things I really appreciated about the show was it's treatment of African inspired dancing and song. The style of dance was authentic and absolutely beautiful. It was obvious that it was choreographed by African Dancers... not jazz/theater choreographers who'd watched a couple Ailey shows.... The last musical I saw on Broadway was The Color Purple and I was extremely saddened/disgusted by their "back to Africa" scene. The half nekked actors were jumping around with Michelin man, multi-colored tire looking things on their legs and spinning around throwing their necks back and flailing their arms while saying "Oooga Booga". (I SWEAR they were speaking some random gibberish.) I was thoroughly disgusted by the lack of respect that the choreographers had for African dance, so you can only imagine my pleasure when I saw the beautifully choreographed, and precise dance in the Lion King.

In addition to the dance, the visuals were astonishing. I won't spoil too much, but the entrance of the "animals" is really astounding. The actors completly turned into the animals they were portraying, their movements so perfectly mimicking the slink of the puma or the skip of the gazelle that sometimes I could actually fool myself into thinking I was watching animals on the stage. It was so beautiful I actually found myself tearing up a few times. Here are a few pics I found online to whet your appetite...

My favorite character in the play was the woman that played the "juju woman" (as my mom would say) was PHENOMENAL. I believe she's South African, so that may have helped her out a little bit, but she played the part of an older African woman to a tee. It tickled me, and my mom, to no end.

Also I found out that my cousin is in the show. He plays Bandzai (spelling?) one of the 3 hyenas. He was phenomenal as well.

All in all I had a really great experience at the Lion King and it's without a doubt something I will keep in mind if I have tourists coming in from out of town, or when my nephew gets older and comes to town.

Here are a few pics I snapped...

A huge replica of the wooden mask used in the play to represent Mufasa's spirit

Mom my and I with the tickets to the show... I was really excited!

My mom and dad enjoying some pre-show fun in Times Square.


No comments:

Post a Comment