Friday, September 11, 2009

Puggie pug... the worlds quickest foster...

Hey Everyone! Meet foster number 4, Puggie!


Puggie came to me on Wednesday night and he will be going to his new foster home tomorrow morning... He only spent 2 days with me but he definintely made an impact.

Puggie came from a shelter in NJ. He was "supposedly"a stray who was between 3-4 years old.... The shelter said he was housebroken, friendly, and playful so the rescue thought he'd be a good little foster sibling for my Leroy. Well turned out the shelter straight LIED to us. LOL Puggie isn't 3-4... he aint even probably 5-6... When the volunteer originally went to pick him up she thought he was 10 years old... and the shelter staff even chuckled a bit when they told her that Puggie was 4 years old. Either way, Puggie came home with me and after a very stressful and anxious first night for him, he's been a real trouper and a perfect angel.

Puggie, at least it seemed to me was in really bad shape... most of his teeth had fallen out, or were in the process of falling out which causes his tounge to chronically hang out of the side of his mouth. His breathing was really laboured the first night... So much so that I thought he had pnemonia or some other serious respiratory problem. He's skin and bones and it just seems like moving around is a bit of an effort for him. He has a cataract on one of his eyes, impairing the visit in that eye, and hyperpigmentation bluring the vision in the other. He's not neutered. His ears haven't been cleaned out in YEARS.

It just makes me angry.

I just don't understand how someone could let their dog, a living creature, go on living like that for years. You didn't see his teeth falling out? You didn't notice that he was walking into things, and that there are large black scars on his eyeballs? I mean WTF

Despite the obvious years of neglect, Puggie is a total angel and mushball of love. He took to Leroy right away following him around the house, trying to hump him, or just lick on him. He tried so hard to play with Leroy on the first night, but he kept on losing his breath and I had to keep them separated because I thought he was going to keel over. By the 2nd night, Leroy and Puggie were sleeping together in Leroy's crate!?! I couldn't believe my eyes. LOL Leroy hates sleeping with other dogs... and doesn't love his crate. I've never seen him snuggle up to another dog in that way.

Puggie is so good natured with Leroy... here's a pic of him lying on Leroy's bed while Leroy is chewing it and trying to shake Puggie off...

Puggie doesn't really make much noise or make many demands. Most of the time he's been here, he's hung out in his crate... which I decked out with a new pillow and pillowcase for him, or he's hung out on one of Leroy's beds in the living room. After the initial burst of interest, Puggie hasn't really wanted to play much with Leroy, but he's incredibly good natured and ignores Leroy's crazy outbursts, or sits and just watches him... Puggie sleeps... a LOT... like most older pugs. As I type this Puggie is sleeping on Leroy's folded up crate liner with his little tounge just a hanging out of his mouth... content as can be.

I think he's even had a good influence on Leroy, who has been a little calmer than usual this evening.

Puggie is leaving me tomorrow to go to another foster home. I'm not sure if I have the stamina to be the kind of long-term foster home that Puggie will probably need. He was only with me for 2 days, but I've already kind of started falling for him... in the same way that I did for Bruno and like I probably will for any other old pug that comes into my path... I just can't believe someone sent this big lump of love to a shelter and I'm so glad that he's going to be going to a great home.


No comments:

Post a Comment